Friday 25 July 2014

Review: The One by Kiera Cass

Title: The One (The Selection #3)
Author: Kiera Cass
Released: June 5 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 323 
Add on Goodreads 
Favourite Quote:“Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway.”

Goodreads Synopsis
'THE SELECTION changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. Now, only one will claim Prince Maxon’s heart…

It’s swoon meets the Hunger Games in the final installment of THE SELECTION trilogy!

For the four girls who remain at the palace, the friendships they’ve formed, rivalries they’ve struggled with and dangers they’ve faced have bound them to each other for the rest of their lives.

Now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.


America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown – or to Prince Maxon’s heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realises just how much she stands to lose – and how hard she’ll have to fight for the future she wants.

The breathtaking finale to THE SELECTION trilogy will make you swoon!'


 My Review 
Can we just stop to admire that cover. The cover was so beautiful. This has to be one of my favourite book covers.

I have never been so annoyed with a protagonist ever. Like oh my gosh, America Singer you annoy me so much. You need to make a decision and stick to it. And stop with this whole 'I'm going to tell him later'. Tell him now! It was painful to read at times cause he needed to know now not later. The whole thing could have been avoided.

Anyway, The One is actually enjoyable cause it was very fast paced even though the protagonist was so annoying. I know, that sound weird. How could you love a book if you hate the character so much? Well, for some reason I just needed to find out what would happen. And also I needed to read more about Maxon. Maxon is so adorable. I just love him. He was so patient towards America and honestly if I was him I would have kicked her out already. However, America actually wasn't as annoying as she was in the Elite. It was so nice to finally not go back and forth between the two guys (don't get me wrong, it did happen at times. Just not as often as 'The Elite'). However, America was still annoying in terms of her actions. She does not think about her actions. She is very impulsive and at first its like 'haha, oh America' but once it happens over and over again, I just wanted to throw the book and slap her.

The action part of this book happened very abruptly (I'm talking about the one in the end). All of a sudden, the story seemed to be wrapping up a bit when bam, this massive action scene occurs between the Rebels and the Palace. Although it was good to see, all we saw after the fight finished was 1 chapter plus an epilogue. I would have liked to see more about Maxon and America's new relationship after the fight, what would happen in more detail to the caste system as well and more about Celeste. We see this awesome character development for Celeste and then it just stops (view spoiler). I think it could have ended better in terms of that. However, how it did end was good, I just would have liked to see more

(view spoiler)

Overall, the story was very entertaining and even though the main character does get very annoying at times, I was still compelled to continue to read it. It was so addicitve that I finished it within 24hrs.

4.5 out of 5 Stars  

Have Bloglovin? Follow me there
 Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment