Saturday 7 June 2014

Movie Review: The Fault in Our Stars



I have finally seen The Fault in Our Stars movie. Hooray!! I have been waiting for this movie for so long, I thought that it would never come. The trailers were fantastic and then the TV Spots that showed up online really made me want to watch the movie so bad. And the soundtrack. I don't think I have very loved a movie soundtrack as much as this one. My favourite song currently is on that soundtrack and hearing it in the movie was the icing on the cake.

Let's start of with its faithfulness to the book. It was AWESOME. It feels so great knowing that they actually read the book before attempting to make the movie. I hate it when a movie adaptation takes maybe three important scenes from the book and then links all those together in some weird way that is no way similar to the book. It's like did you even read it? This was different. It was very obvious that they read and studied the book. There was lines directly from the novel and said exactly the same time as when they were said in the novel. And I'm not talking only maybe a few lines from the novel - I'm talking a lot of lines. Yes, some parts of the film were changed or altered a different way however majority of the script felt like it was from the book. From Gus' classic one lines such as 'I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up' to the letter at the end that Hazel reads (I don't want to say who from just in case you haven't read the novel. But those who have should know), it was all directly taken from the novel. I cried in exactly the same spots as I did in the novel and that was surprising to me. Although I didn't cry as much as I did in the book, I did still cry. I think it was because I was already prepared for what was to happen so nothing was a shock to me. It was very funny hearing my whole cinema sniffling towards the end and laughing at the same points.

The actors was amazing. I loved how they were able to convince me that they were the character. In previous book-to-movie adaptations, some actors didn't exactly convince me that they were the characters. The whole cast pretty much convinced me in this film. I loved Ansel's portrayal of Augustus. Before I heard about the casting, I was unsure of who would play him. He is such a unique character and very confident in himself. I wasn't sure if anyone could play him. Ansel Elgort was such a fantastic choice. He convinced me from the minute I saw him that he was Augustus. From the way he spoke to how he looked at Hazel, it was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better actor. Nat Wolf was superb as well. I loved how he was funny yet vulnerable at the same time. I felt so sorry from him when Monica broke up with him that my heart broke. I just wanted to go up to him and give him a hug. Shailene Woodley was the only one I wasn't 100% happy with. Maybe only 98% happy with. She was fantastic acting as Hazel, it's just at some times I wasn't believing her. But that only happened for a slit second before she convinced me again. Hence, the only 2% unhappiness with her.

I had so many favourite parts in the film. But I think my favourite was when Hazel, Augustus and Isaac threw eggs at Monica's car. It was so hilarious to watch with Augustus giving his speech about only have 5 legs and 4 eyes and trying to make Monica's mum (I think it was her mum) looking like as if she was going to say 'What the?'. I loved how Isaac first threw the eggs towards a tree and then Augustus helping him with where to throw it. It really showed how good of a friendship Isaac and Augustus have and that nothing can ruin it.

Overall, the movie was very faithful and I do plan on watching it again. I have never been to a movie as packed as mine was for a while. I loved how at the end of the film, everyone was clapping and you could really tell that they enjoyed it as much as I did. To me, it was up there with Catching Fire faithfulness and that was one very good adaptation.

Anyway, I shall leave you now and go cry a bit more about why I don't have such an awesome boyfriend like Augustus Waters. Let me know what your favourite parts of the film were below

Have bloglovin? Follow me there
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment