Friday 23 May 2014

REVIEW: The Selection

Author: Kiera Cass
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Favourite Quote: "You get confused by crying women, I get confused by walks with princes.”

Goodreads Synopsis:
'For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.'

My Review
I am quite surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Before reading this book, I had heard of a lot of reviews of how much the main character America Singer annoyed them. However, for me, I didn't find her that annoying. Although some of her actions were a bit dumb, I did understand why she acted that way and this therefore made me not hate her. I liked how she was very outspoken and didn't take any crap from anyone. And what I loved about this book was that she didn't sit there crying for 200 pages about being separated from the guy she loved. Don't get me wrong, there were parts where she was obviously upset about it but it wasn't so often that it made me want to put the book down. It was believable but as she was a tough character she did her best to move on from it, which I admired. 

The storyline was very entertaining. Think of it like The Bachelor. Prince Maxon has to narrow down thirty five girls to one and all the girls are fighting to get his attention. I went into the novel expecting to hate Prince Maxon because of the whole America loving Aspen situation but I was proven wrong. I grew to like Maxon and loved how he didn't act the expected 'prince' way. He was very caring and genuine and I loved how he was so relatable. It was entertaining seeing him not know how to handle himself in a room full of women and how to act towards them.

The development of Maxon and America's relationship was very good. I loved how America went from hating his guts to sort of liking him. It was very believable that she didn't go straight into liking him or something as that was not who America was. It all made sense why America acted the way she did towards Maxon and how her perception of him slowly changed.

Overall, I would only recommend this book to those who enjoy romance novels. The novel does have elements of action in it, but very small amounts (and I mean small). I look forward to getting my hands onto 'The Elite' and seeing where the novel progresses 

Have Bloglovin? Follow me there
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment